Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Lesson in Detachment

We are able to laugh when we achieve detachment, if only for a moment. ~May Sarton

When I walked along the road in the valley at Yosemite Park, a car zoomed by me. I showed a "slow down" signal with my hand and yelled, "Slow."  

The car pulled over. I thought maybe the driver needed directions. When I reached the vehicle, the driver yelled at me, "Shut your mouth. I'm going 25." 

I began to speak but could see by the look on his wife's face that his anger had started before his reaction to me. Nothing would have caused him to re-arrange his mood.



I turned and walked into the silence of trees. 

The experience made me realize the importance of awareness and observation of others' reactions beyond my own "fix it" mentality. It took time for me to stop thinking of solutions as I breathed in the refreshment of nature and eased into myself.  

This time I had paid attention to the proverb, "Not my circus. Not my monkeys."

No comments:

Post a Comment