Sunday, December 8, 2013

Driving Tips


My father took me to my first football game at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. He advised me, "Watch reactions to the football. Don't just follow the ball." He encouraged me to focus on the details of body language. In response, my four year old mind followed the defense.

Writings of Machiavelli and Sun Tzu tout success coming from destroying the enemy's ability to attack. A good offense depends on the defense, claimed Vince Lombardi.

After Thanksgiving, during the drive from Eugene to San Diego, the traffic tormented us. My husband, Michael has the ability of a race car driver combined with a good defensive back. He follows my father's advice to watch reactions. His techniques in traffic turn him into a safety for our driving team as he responds to actions and reactions of the idiot-opponents on the road. 

Michael can judge who will tailgate, surge and pass too close. His instincts focus on those who will not use a turn indicator. Observing body language, he predicts when a driver does not have full attention on the road. Once he defines drivers' behavior, Michael reacts in positive ways to score forward progress.   

I cheer his skills!  I read and concentrate on the landscape or freak out at the bumper jumpers that appear about to happen.

Creative Write:  Have you had a driving experience and a metaphor to go with it?  Drive on with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment