Friday, September 7, 2012

Questions for the Learning Process
















Does the ginkgo exclaim how hard it works during autumn?  Do you hear shrieks of exasperation?  Of course not.  It goes about its business of treeness and pushes its auxins. The yellow floods its leaves, then they drop and illustrate the street.  

Why does the notion exist among human beings that effort equals result?  It reminds me of the "Little League" mentality that everyone gets a trophy for hard work.  What happens when a batter swings at the third pitch and misses?  He's out!  It doesn't matter how hard he tried.  The effort did not produce a result.

As a professor of writing, I receive many comments from students concerning effort. When a student's "hard work" does not translate into a satisfying grade, a variety of concerns follow.  "I've always received A's," becomes a mantra at the end of a grading period.  "I've worked so hard my brains feel like scrambled eggs," another student claims.  

I read the product. It either shows a result or it doesn't. 

In the publishing world, editors cannot observe the effort put into a piece of writing.  They judge the words that bounce upon the page. The black squiggles either hold their attention or they don't.  In the construction business, if a carpenter works all day measuring, cutting, hammering and at the end of the day looks up to see the windows sag, corners don't match up and in one rain the roof will leak, does he say, "I worked so hard?"  No!  He can see that he needed to focus on the details.

Why do students not want to make mistakes when learning a new skill?  Failure assists the process if learning occurs. Success comes from feeling comfortable with risk and error.

Imagine the man who loves to work with his hands. He carves boxes designed with robins and roses. Purchasers love his work. One day he decides to take a ceramics class to learn how to throw pots. He spends four weeks throwing clay and the pots lean right and left. Some have thin sides and heavy bases. The wheel races, his fingers slipping in the water. Drippings cover him with gray. He's worked so hard with his hands but this new procedure defies his understanding. 

The result does not represent his accomplishments of the past. What has he learned from the process?  He thought he could just crank it out as an artist but did not realize the nuances and techniques necessary to learn a new skill.  Does he keep trying?  Of course.

Hard work has value as it improves discipline and provides the opportunity for results.  Many times one must fail in order to succeed.

Creative Write:  Write about learning a new skill.  How did "hard work" translate into result . . . or not? Did failure assist the process?

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow. I feel as if you wrote this for me personally. It's odd; I don't mind a "bad" result in most endeavors if I tried my best. I'm terrible at remembering the names of flowers, for example. But I've taken photos I love of say, a zinnia, and called it a "pansy." No connection whatsoever. And I appreciate it when someone elbows me and whispers, "Uh, that doesn't even look like a pansy."

    But writing -- yikes! You nailed me. I have no problem with the criticism of others. I'm happy to admit that. When it comes to self-criticism, however, uh oh. I think I have to "work hard" or it won't be as "good" as something I spent less time researching. Your point about editors not knowing how much effort is put into a book startled me. AAAAAH!

    If "effort" equaled "result," I'd have finished more novels than James Patterson. (I just read that he's the highest paid author at $94 mil a year.)

    Thanks for popping me alongside the head. Wow. Must reconsider everything regarding, well, EVERYTHING. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it gave you a needed nudge. Write on!

    ReplyDelete