Sunday, April 8, 2012

Please. Please Mr. Postman


The United States Postal Service has brightened my days since I started writing with a fountain pen as a child.  While Birthday candles still scented the air, or before my tummy digested holiday dinners, my father would request that I write thank you notes for gifts received. 


We sat side-by-side and discussed how to thank a great aunt for a dainty teacup with saucer. Creativity sparked and shined my sense of humor. I'd write about the ways to use a "demi-tasse" to dig in the earth for sow bugs and worms. Or use it to collect polliwogs and watch them grow.  


My father grinned as I completed each note. Nurturing my skills, he asked me to write another card with a different idea my aunt might enjoy.  I wonder which one he sent?   


Unfortunately, my great aunt did not save the scribblings that chronicled childhood, adolescence, and college years.

I adorned the envelopes with special issue stamps and added return address labels filled with birds, bugs, and floral scenes.

We traveled constantly during my early childhood causing correspondence to bloom.  I met friends around the world and persuaded them to join my letter writing fun.


Email has challenged a few of my correspondents who prefer ecards. Snail mail does send smiles across the miles,  so I'll keep stamping and mailing.




Today, during my morning run I looked at postal boxes in front of homes along the route. Postal carriers used to raise the flag to signal mail delivery.  If residents had outgoing mail, the signal flag would cause carriers to stop even if they didn't have mail to deliver.  


Now, many boxes contain locks and flags stay horizontal because of concerns they attract theft.


With the postal service facing budget challenges and closing post offices, I wonder how long before mail delivery ends.  I've had a post office box for many years because no one could spell our street address correctly.  


If the USPS closes, I will miss the blue box on my street corner.  It has always provided a directional aid to help those who can't decipher Spanish street names.  I just say, "Go up the hill five streets. Turn right at the blue U.S. postal box." 


If they remove it, many will feel lost.

Creative Write:  If you will miss the USPS, write a letter to your representative, state senator and the postal service to show your support.  Send them a thank you note.

Write about your experiences with snail mail.  Will you miss sending and receiving cards or does email appeal more because of its ease? 


No comments:

Post a Comment