Saturday, April 9, 2011

Writing about food discoveries



Food provides comfort or brings memories of distasteful situations. Growing up, we learn food preferences from family, friends, and situations.

My father lived to eat with gusto.  Breakfast became my favorite meal because of all the mornings spent with him. His favorites included: buttery toast with jam, eggs easy, jellied omelets, and French toast.  Melons and berries sparkled in his eyes when he ate.  My father also had an appetite for licorice bits and butterscotch sundaes.

My mother preferred dinner and loved to cook.  Her bread crumb-crunchy mac 'n' cheese melted in the mouth.  She also had a winner with lamb shanks drenched with mint sauce.  Stewed ox-tails shed a flavor of bay leaves.  Vegetables included broccoli, spinach and string bean delights. She only included one liver and onion dish I slathered with catsup and vinegar.  

As a result, I require textures and tangs in my food.

When my Grandmother lived with us, she taught me to cook without measuring.  She encouraged the use only of smell and taste. We made toffy, Welsh cakes and an array of berry pies.  I salivate while writing about her culinary talents.

My first grade teacher told us the first day at the school lunch table to "eat what you don't like first."  That didn't make much sense to me since I loved all foods.  When the other children left turkey tails and chicken wings, I had more to enjoy. It's a good thing my curiosity combined with an active metabolism.

During early childhood, I spent many months during the year traveling on steamships with my parents.  I felt dizzy and nauseated most of the time regardless of what they tried: dramamine, candies, tums.  One evening before the ship's after dinner movie, my father said dates would settle my stomach. I ate half a box.  The cost to clean the lady's fur coat seated ahead of us discouraged him from trying other remedies.  I eventually discovered my sea legs on my own.


Creative Write: Recall your favorite foods during childhood and who influenced your eating habits.  Do you connect disliked food items with events?

No comments:

Post a Comment