Thursday, April 28, 2011

Twenty Notions



Write 20 notions or random thoughts each day to stimulate your creativity. 


Begin, "Today, it occurs to me . . . I wonder . . ." Don't stop writing until you reach 20. Let those wild fingers go.


Here's a start:



l. Today the sounds of water and tapping keys make me consider 
   how laughter affects the weather.

2. I wonder why coffee brewing arouses my sense of smell 
    more than tasting it.

3. Flying geese make sounds like rusty hinges when 
    they fly overhead.

4. I wonder what happened the first time someone looked up at the stars.

5. Will we overpopulate the other universes and trash them also?

6. Does the sun hold his breathe when he dips behind the sea?

7. Are people naturally negative and need to hold vertical poles to make pluses out of their flat lines?

8   Maybe the earth is twirling faster than our brains.

9. I wonder how many writers made words from alphabet soup?

10. The moon looked like someone had taken a bite out of it but it still splashed light on my wall.

11. The lizards are everywhere in all sizes. How do they run faster than I do?

12. I'd like to chat with my parents for a day about what they miss most about life.


13. The bit of cantalope loped down my throat.

14. Everyone needs to take a partial day of "fallow." 

15. It takes discipline to become playful.

16. Why must we give up our childlike engagements with life?

17. Good habits need more encouragement. They work hard too.

18. Imagine taking a train for several hours and writing until your fingers cramp.

19. Do trees snicker when we pass?

20. Do seahorses think about racing or pulling chariots?


Creative Write:
 How many poems or story starts can you generate from your one-liners? 
What if you combine three and see where they go? 
Circle three, then three more. 
Really play with your daily notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment