Friday, April 15, 2011

Silent Language






In his memoir, THE SUMMING UP, Somerset Maugham described himself as lacking imagination. He said, "On the other hand, I had an acute power of observation and it seemed to me that I could see a great many things other people missed. I could put down in clear terms what I saw. I had a logical sense, and if no great feeling for the richness and strangeness of words, at all events a lively appreciation of their sound."

Search for the silent language.Take advantage of observation skills during the day. When entering a room or a walking outdoors, use your senses to record the scenes in detail.

Look up and into the distance. What do your feet notice? How many shapes and shadows appear? What flashes past the corners of your eyes? Notice: colors, sounds and scents. Touch with your fingertips.

In a crowd of people, make notes of clothing textures and shoes. How do they sound? What distinguishes the individuals in speech patterns? How do they move? Record their gestures.

What might others miss in the venues?

Explore the invisible. Observe what goes on in a silent language.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment