Saturday, April 16, 2011

Thought Diving for Colors

Herman Melville believed writers did "thought diving" to get their stories. He described writers as,  "The whole corps of thought-divers that have been diving and coming up again with blood-shot eyes since the world began."

Unlike Ahab's fascination for the white whale, I never have felt an attraction to white. When I thought-dive for memories of why I shun white, I flash back to the discomfort of crisp outfits with frills and lace.

My mother attempted to keep me contained and clean within these whites. Once dressed and released into nature, I turned them into a palate of grass smears, boysenberry juice and bark stains. Eventually, she relented and purchased colors for me to wear.

Creative Write: Try thought-diving for memories. Write about why you have a fascination with or dislike a particular color.

No comments:

Post a Comment