Monday, December 28, 2020

Flying Lessons


"If I'd been told as a child what the life of an adult is like, I wouldn't have believed it.  I'd never have believed it could be so unfinished. 
 - John Berger, Once in Europa

I believed I could fly into the blue of sky. If the blue jays hopped from the railing to sail into the atmosphere and sparrows fluttered on branches, so could I. Launches from trees and second floor hotel rooms did not send me soaring but taught a marvel for gravity's tug. My curiosity prevailed and flight exploration continued. Oh, how I wished to wriggle in the clouds and smell sunshine.


Adulthood seemed too far to reach. Not many grownups had humor and gleams in their eyes like my father. My mother used her creativity for piano tunes, embroidery, and copper work. Her activities seemed too tame. 
Adventure called me from tree branches and bird wings.

Watching caterpillars turn into flying creatures also gave me hope for flight. I searched the sky to learn the sequence in flaps of wings. Jumping and running created elevation - but not for long. Mind flying kept me moving into wonder.

Eventually I did get a ride on an airplane to experience the highest of flight. I watched clouds bundle and bunch, wondering how to catch them on my tongue. What if I could  snuggle inside and roll around?

Adulthood still seems far away and perplexing. I will continue to explore nature's wonders and stay at the age of nine years, spreading my wings daily.

What did you desire as a child you had to make happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment