Wednesday, October 14, 2020

The Write Life in 4000 Entries

 


My father wandered into my bedroom to find me on my knees with his fountain pen. 
He watched as I made squiggles. 
I felt the enchantment of trying to reproduce 
creatures that scurried on the book's page. 
He chuckled as he shuttled me into his study 
to teach printing and cursive writing.

In my early years, my father read stories to urge me to sleep at night. It encouraged my storytelling and creative skills when he had me close my eyes and use other senses to absorb the tales.

He made certain, after my cursive writing developed, that I wrote thank you notes for gifts. "Don't just write - thank you," he encouraged. "Bring your senses into the words. "This doll smiles with a glow. The locket feels like satin . . . Your book of stories . . ."

For years I kept a diary, locked with a key. Adventures flowed from my sensory observations. Writing accompanied me during college and careers.

As social media took over and the internet intrigued, I began a blog in 2009. This is my 4000th entry. I write each morning before my run or yoga class. I missed one day while we were traveling deep into Oregon caves without internet access.

The blog began as a teaching tool for my writing students and as a challenge for writers, I have moved into other areas with poems, stories, creative insights, a bit of fun, and ideas to think about. Laughter circled throughout in many entries. 

I will continue to weave words as my mind finds possiblities.

If you have insights about where you'd like to see the blog go from here, please send suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment