Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Creative Process



The creative process stimulates exploration, joy, confusion and revelation. Revision in all the arts moves in rollercoaster peaks and dips. Nothing about the 'courage to create,' as Rollo May calls it, moves in a linear fashion. Most scientific and creative breakthroughs occur during the rest period after intense work.

Ideas need time to percolate. Synapses require relief from constant firing. I love discovering a spark and attracting others until the fire blooms into focus. At some point the focus requires more writing and word choices. It helps to 'dwell in possibility' (thanks Emily Dickinson for the line). 

Play time keeps me searching and making connections. Words badger me like rust that never rests. I also realize intensity requires a rest period while the process continues its diverse ways.

In yoga we have rest poses for a reason in between those that push the mind and body. After working on a project, I force myself to relent. Of course with a click of the computer button, the words still shriek and pound their fists in my head. I rest by running in natural setting and photographing ideas. Cat naps after reading passages of sensory writing also assist.

Upon returning to tame the words into less rambunctious behavior, I'm refreshed; brain connections rewired.

With a writing project that requires revision, put the pages in a drawer or save your file and turn off the computer. Get as far away as you can. Give yourself a break and rest or divert from the words. 


When you return, you'll amaze yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment