Monday, May 28, 2012

Write Not Quite Right

Eleanor Roosevelt's thought, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do,"  inspires me to wonder about needing to do something not quite right. By that I mean the word that strikes horror into many hearts - doing something imperfectly. That's a toughie.  


We often deny the goal of perfect and replace it with a euphemism like the search for excellence. It's still a balancing act to let some things go undone, not done well, or even forgotten about, and feel good about it.  


How to deny the search for perfection for a day?  


What will I do imperfectly and leave undone today. Something I like or dislike?  How about laundry. I won't separate whites and colors. Wash 'em all in one load. Hmmm, I already do that. I will leave my clothes tangled in the drawers. Yep, do that extremely well. One more . . . I'll leave dishes in the sink. Guess I can start with that one.  I usually hide them in the dishwasher.  


What if I let this blog just unroll as my mind has flown along?  Add a few more colorful adjectives, leave adverbs and not exchange them for active verbs? Now, that will prove I can go with the imperfection flow, right?  It feels like letting the drips go when washing a window. 


Lightbulb moment.


I'll wash windows and mirrors imperfectly today and let the streaks create patterns that light can embellish. I'll re-arrange my socks drawer into neat rows. Notice the adjectives and adverbs I've let populate my sentences above?   Whee!  Write not quite right.


Creative Unright Write:


Write to discover how to do a few tasks imperfectly. Take those chores and processes that you feel excellent about. Turn them around.  Ravel and unravel. See how the switch makes you feel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment