Sunday, May 27, 2012

What Bugs You?

Everyone has a creature they don't admire. The list goes from spiders and slugs to snakes and beyond.  I love all wriggly living things except for flies and their children.  In respect, I wave the flyers out of my house. Maggots create more challenges and test my patience for their right to life.

In the past I thought calling someone a maggot was a slight.  It really means indefatigable and able to withstand onslaughts of chemicals. Drowning makes no difference; they rise to the surface.

On the day I discovered a mess of maggots in the trash bin, I tried spraying with water.  They moved even faster in the fluid.  Spraying the wrigglers with Windex, I took the bin to the street for the day's pick up. I returned later with more discards and warriors on the bottom had risen in a second phalanx attack.  Back with foaming cleaner, I covered these fellows in white.

On the way to my morning run I checked and the third layer had hopped onto the street.  They began popping out like corn.

In defeat,  I left just as the illusive Black Phoebe I've tried to attract to my yard flew into the muddle of squirmers on the street and feasted.  His feathers were all a flap with this gourmet breakfast.  Hurrah for the food chain.

Upon returning from my run, the trash truck had picked up the gang. I brought the fly maternity ward into the driveway to hose down. Only a white speck remained but did not move here and there.  I suppose they saw the gourmet potential of the truck?

The plastic can remained with a foot of water in it to erode all remaining nesters. Possibly the sun will dry the rest?

To prepare for the future, I tried an internet search of maggots. I discovered : www.maggotart.com.  A teacher had students use non-toxic paint and let the little wigglers waffle around on the page in myriad colors.  Now that's a way to teach kids not to become afraid of ugly things, right?

Creative Write:  Write about an insect experience or a tiger you've tried to tame.

No comments:

Post a Comment