Saturday, July 16, 2011

How to See a Tree


During childhood, I spent most of my free time in trees.  Climbing into a 30-foot magnolia provided my view of nature's magic.  Butterflies visited along with ladybugs.  Ants left trails to follow.

I escaped from my bedroom window by climbing down a jacaranda. A eucalpytus tree grew from three trunks that enclosed a space for hiding.  My body fit with just my head peeking out.  Oak trees also invited my climbing adventures. I adorned my friends with ribbons, balloons and flags.

Pine trees coated me with sap.  Apple, citrus, fig, and avocado trees provided treats. I marveled at the aromas and tastes.  All seasons revealed opportunities to investigate the bounty of wood near my home.

Because of my friendship with trees, I believed they never died.  I watched them transformed into doors, furniture, sculptures, and stationery.  I collected decorated boxes that opened with a rush of scent.

Have you ever paid attention to a tree?

How to See a Tree

At first light, three men entered the forest.
The axeman downed a tree riddled by insects
seeing it worth only fire wood.
The logger brought a chainsaw with greed in his smile.
He would sell lumber and make a fortune.
The woodsman searched all day
playing fingers over bark and limbs.
His nostrils filled with scent of tree,
he honed planks suitable for
instruments whose living notes
might please a weary world.

Creative Write:  Describe a childhood experience in nature that provided insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment