Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sing with the Birds



"It's probably that in the artistic hierarchy birds are the greatest musicians existing on our planet,"  -  Olivier Messiaen continued below:

" . . . birdsong has long been able to calm troublesome thoughts, evoke memories of carefree childhood days, and slow a racing heart. The trills, peeps, whistles, and fluty notes shared by robins, thrust, blackbirds, nightingales (to name but a few) drown out the world's woes. "                                                                                                 

Roman poet and philosopher Lucretius said, "Birds instructed man and taught him songs before his art began."


For Ludwig von Beethoven, the flute represented the nightingale. The oboe revealed the voice of the quail and the clarinet spoke for the cuckoos. He felt these birds composed along with him.

Many vocal artists say their songs arrives from the gifts of birds. Examples are: When Doves Cry by Prince, Dolly Parton's Little Sparrow, and Nelly Furtardo's I'm Like a Bird, to name a few.

The BBC network features Beatrice Harrison. It captures a moment when a nightingale accompanies a cello to create, Danny Boy 

Read more about birdsong and music:  http://www.colander.org/gallimaufry/Birdsong.html


In La Jolla, wild parrots populate palm trees. I hear them vocalize what sounds to me like, "figuero. figuero."  One morning during my run, a fellow flew near me and figuero'ed. As we floated together, I responded and we kept the duet going a couple of blocks. Then he flew up to greet his pals and the chorus began. I sang from below and passersby certainly believed in us for future performances.




I've sung with sparrows and taught the first line of the Oregon Fight Song to a mockingbird who reproduced it.

I always respond to tweets from morning friends who share muffins with me.

Find birdsong during spring days and vocalize with the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment