Thursday, January 21, 2016

Pounce for Words


I tried to catch a photograph of the brown pelicans as they sailed over my head during a morning run.  My camera did not adjust in time.  Woosh, they soared beyond my camera's eye. Waves surged and bubbled along the rocks but I only captured blurs.  I kept running and listened to drums of surf and breathed the spindrift. The wind brought scents of muffins. When timing seems off, I move into other senses.

Once in a while I will feel this way when deciding to focus on a piece of writing.  If I chase my subject I might miss the details that surround it. A pull back and patience always help.  I discover a new approach or another subject to consider.

This experience occurred as I noticed a cat posed like a pointer dog.  I could not tell just what it saw. Nothing moved or wriggled ahead of it. I felt its intrigue and my eagerness slowed to match its patience. Five minutes passed as I approached and rustled the camera out of my fanny pack. I could feel a pounce would occur any second.

Then. . . click and miss.  I looked at the photograph on the screen and by chance my camera had taken a second shot. Usually these turn out of my hands and feet.  This second shot captured the pounce. The camera had rewarded my patience.

Take time to become patient with your words today. You may have to wait through your freewrite until some idea takes you in a different direction. Let that happen.

Then pounce for words!

No comments:

Post a Comment