Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Renewal for Spring

"That evening clinic of referred pain; the t.v. news"  - Ian McEwan from Enduring Love

The news displays and touts the tragic: what's broken, crashed, killed and hopeless. Advertisements appeal for medications that cause more problems than what they solve. Pills require additional pills to counter their effects.  

Even social media brings out the cranky in people. Why does anyone buy into this negativity that swirls?  Take a break from the onslaught and absorb the sensory effects of nature.  

During my morning run on Sunday, I noticed a young man and his son sitting together. They settled in watching passersby and the sky. Smiles energized their faces.  

"Do you have a cell phone?" I asked.  
"No, not today. I shut down all my technological devices each Sunday to spend time with my son."  
"Will I ruin the plans if I take your photo?"



His grin increased as I took their photograph and emailed it to him.

I felt good to know that someone had resisted technology's pull for one day a week to enjoy life and energize a relationship.

March 20 signals the first day of spring.  The vernal equinox enlivens growth. Take time to renew and revitalize. Review your diet and exercise. Avoid negative influences. 

Sport laughter and creative thoughts. Expand the mind through reading quality literature. Invite a friend to play. 

Explore the natural world and write the sensory details. Focus on what works for you. 

Give yourself a day's retreat to evaluate how you want to spend time.  If you can't avoid technoloogy for a day, do it for an hour at a time. 

You will notice how joy enlivens the air.



Breathe in spring's messages and write.



No comments:

Post a Comment