Thursday, February 23, 2012

Work Ahead

 

During morning runs, I scan my body.  What aches and niggles will I have to work through today?  I breathe into the discomfort and enjoy nature's distractions.  

What promises will help me move around the corner?  A raven's call pushes me beyond a twinge.  The scent of the sea calms frustration.

Will speed work inspire energy?  I can catch up to that runner ahead or outlast a squirrel.  Can pelicans fly faster than I run?

I'll convince my mind to push for more repeats up the flight of stairs at the end of the workout.  

Along the way my mind plays games with my body.  It becomes a tug-of-war. Who will win today?  I will not stop when I want to -  just one more block.

Writing attracts those mind games also.  What issues do you deal with in your writing process?  Do you quit too soon if frustrated?  Do you make deals with yourself?  What rewards await at the end of a writing session?  What if you wrote just one more word would it spark another and yet another?  

Get beyond your mind games today and do your road work.  What does it feel like to trick your mind into production?



No comments:

Post a Comment