Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Wisdom of Water










The tenacity of water has intrigued me since reading Lao Tzu in high school. When facing challenges, I've  learned to call upon water and its images to ask, “What would water do”?  I believe in its possibilities and process to provide imagery for me to emulate.

Now, I live by water in two states: on a hillside a mile from the Pacific ocean in California and across the park from the Willamette river in Oregon.

Water in the form of rain nurtures both states.  No Oregonian believes it ever rains in California. It's liquid sunshine the tourist brochures claim.  At times, Californian drops, large as quarters, make Oregon precipitation look like spritzes. 

In San Diego it will rain for ten minutes and cause waves to overpower the gutters and curl down the street to the sea.

Water also accompanies my creativity in mysterious ways. I call them water fairies, the invisible creatures who send messages to me in stains, glistens and drips. They reveal creativity in puddles, glides and streaks. Many leave patterns in the pavement I capture in photographs.

Elephant and bird












Clouds in a puddle

Other fairies have ways to attract attention in devious ways. After years of wonder at plumbing concerns, I have discovered these goblins hang around to enliven my problem solving skills. As a result, I have requested gardeners and plumbers go along with me and use humor and wriggle.  It always works when they dance to entertain the sprites who tease my homes. The animation causes them to retreat for awhile. Then they drip and drizzle to tease me again.


Recently we had windows replaced in our Oregon aerie. I warned about the fairies to the three men who would occupy my home for a week. They rolled their eyes, maintained respect and said nothing. I smiled and made the recommendation about humor and dancing. When the torrential rain began the next day, they arrived prepared with rain suits and went to work.

As soon as they left, the rains began in earnest with wild winds. A test of the quality of windows and installation followed.  Pinpoint drips began in new places just darkening the brick and then drying. Definitely the fairies’ satisfaction with a job well done!  Their "applause" created an idea that I should place shrines on the walls to catch the puddles.  Maybe add a plant or two?  Would that keep them joyful?

I follow the wisdom of water and muses since they offer writing possibilities. It's also fun to watch the dances.

Write about the mysterious forces in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment