Saturday, May 29, 2010

One Camel Kindled!

In the 10th century, Abdul Kassem Ismael the Grand Vizier of Persia, couldn't bear to part with his 117,000 volume library of sacred texts and poetry when he traveled. He had the books carried by a caravan of 400 camels trained to walk in a way that would keep the library in alphabetical order.

As we plunge into the 21st century, technology provides storage space for books in one device. I've made changes in adapting to teaching online, Bill Pay instead of check writing and the ease of WIFI. I now face the challenge of adapting to a change in my reading style.

Books surround me in all rooms of my house. Several follow me on trips. I graze in bookstores and admire them like some women shop.

Could I provide one camel for all my books and keep my suitcases lighter? Will I miss the scent of a "real" book? Do I need the sound and texture of pages as I turn them? Will I learn to type footnotes rather than watch the flow of green ink across the page?  

I've always needed a book cover to intrigue my imagination. Will I get the same satisfaction with only a "reader board"?

I took deep breaths and purchased a Kindle. The first frustration set in when I discovered one button - joy stick - provided all the ways in and around the device. It also enabled book purchases. After purchasing unlikely texts and having to call to cancel, I decided to ease into the initiation period.

Downloading all the free books I could in a couple of hours caused my eyes to twirl. I had classics of literature, history, biography, science, philosophy et al. My heart raced upon realizing I could move in and among several at once, make notes and play!

To date, I have read my first novel and continue to search for freebies.What adventures await as my single camel and I begin our journey . . . ?

Creative Write:  How do you deal with change? Consider how you entered the 21st century and your interaction with technology.  Is it moving too fast for your pace?

No comments:

Post a Comment