Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring Turtling
















A morning storm invites a need to weed and prune my clothes closet.  Changing into my turtle mentality I ask what's necessary? What haven't I worn in six months?  What treasures will appear as each stuffed drawer reveals its contents? 

The renewal  feelings of spring always bring this desire to sift through the house and  recycle to the curb. Other items will require a call to AmVets.

Today the process encourages story ideas.  What experiences and memories do the clothes have to share?  Of course my Oregon Duck t-shirts have their memories of the 2009 season.  I discover worn hiking socks and a shirt with a John Muir quotation about the wild. I recall the time in Jaen, Spain from the t-shirt.

Sachets long past their lavender or jasmine have a use in vacuum cleaner bags.  Once during a closet weeding session, I found an adaptive reuse for race t-shirts. They transmogrified into a quilt.  Worn sox become car polishers.

After a couple of hours I feel the satisfaction of accomplishment.

Creative Write:  Consider stories your clothes might inspire.  Do a freewrite to see where else this leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment