Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chasing Clouds in Puddles

I once asked advertising legend Carl Ally what makes the creative person tick. Ally responded, "The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he (or she) never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen."
                              — Roger von Oech, A Whack on the Side of the Head


It's vital to become an omnivore of the Universe.  The more we absorb of daily life, the more we have to write about.  Even in time of frustration and impatience, there's a lot to gain by exploration.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to study behavior and life at the Department of  Motor Vehicles.  After trying to make an appointment to pick up new license plates and discovering the next date 45 days away, I decided to take a book, my journal, cell phone and brave the masses.  It took 40 minutes to get through the initial line to make my concerns known. 

Then with my number B-154 I sat in the blue chairs and observed.  Everyone seemed patient and calm. Even babies with mothers behaved. A few individuals behind me had started conversations and I joined in. 

We considered what to do during our wait. Wash cars in the parking lot would garner a few bucks.  One fellow mentioned slot machines. Laughter began. We compared what we came in for and why on a Wednesday. Apparently on Monday the entire computer system had crashed.  So, two days delay added to our wait time. 

Our numbers scrolled on a screen hanging from the ceiling. The next number was announced and repeated at intervals until it faded away. Probably someone gave up and left. I decided we could create a book-sized monitor with movies or internet access with a rumble when one's number appeared.   I also thought about surrogates or stand-ins who could receive pay to wait in the seats.  Someone thought about catering Starbucks and muffins.

We chatted and laughed an hour away.  Now the B's were not moving.  Probably lunch time for the clerks.  A few numbers were called and friends left and waved.  One lady returned to advise us that they only take certain credit cards.  A gentleman offered to pass the hat but she said she had enough cash to pay. 

A few more people cycled in and out.  The time warriors relayed information to the newly enlisted. 

After three hours and fifteen minutes, the numbers scrolled to B 153.  My heart raced, eyes glued to the screen.  I stopped a conversation with my new friends in fear of missing my number. Finally it appeared!

Considering the inconvenience for so many, I felt the remarkable sense of community we established. We could have continued to talk to one another and solved many of the nation's problems.  Patience, perspective and perseverence at the DMV!

Creative Write: Write about problem solving in unfortunate situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment