Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Green Flash


I've always felt a fascination for the eyewink of sunrise and sunset. In a blink, darkness animates morning and day sneaks into night. My father and I watched my "big ball of fire" as it eased into the evening sea. We talked of mirages and light shimmers. He described a moment when the sun finds the sea and changes color in a "flash." A green sparks for a second or two.

We coddled our patience through myriad twilights to catch that perfect moment - the green flash. It never happened for us to share.Now, living on a hill with a view to the sea, I believe and continue to watch and wait. One day the mystery will unfold when I least expect it. The search means placing myself in a variety of circumstances to "get ready." An amazement awaits!

Writing also has its mysteries that we cannot perceive without the patience of the process. We feel awakenings daily as we wait and attend to our practice. The thrill keeps us eager until a flash will reveal itself. Believe it!


Create write: Think about a phenomenon in nature that intrigues. Also consider an aspect of your life that has not revealed itself to you. What remains illusive?

No comments:

Post a Comment