Friday, November 17, 2017

Leave Things Undone


Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials. - Lin Yutang


Any perfectionistic traits I showcase result from inheritance. Both parents felt everything had a place and should be there. My father knew how to plan and proceed with excellence. He made certain my room had a neat appearance before I went to school. Surfaces must shine clear of clutter. I learned to cram items in drawers and closets as a result when I whirlwinded around the room to make the place presentable.

My mother had it both ways. Her surfaces and drawers promoted perfection. 

When I get ready to take a trip, I whirl around the house, cleaning, fixing, emptying, scurrying. After I read the above quotation, I decided to let three "things" go. Leave a dish in the sink, a sock on the closet floor, towels not washed. After a few two and outs, now it feels right.

The plan of leaving things undone has lightened my spirit. 

Notice how and when you can do this each day. If you are a get things done person with way too much "perfection" and obsession, try my experiment.

Now, if you are a procrastinator, you will love this challenge. Try to accomplish three more things.

Always let positivity and humor race around along with you. Laugh at your challenges.


No comments:

Post a Comment