Sunday, June 17, 2012

Celebrate the Memories






Write your memories to celebrate Father's Day.










Tie the Memories
  
I let go of a yellow balloon
my father puffed to life
then linked to my wrist.

When I untied it
the balloon wriggled
and my fingers clutched air.

We watched it float above
the limbs of sycamores
into circus animal clouds.

“Why?”  I asked.
He smiled at
yet another question
and explained gravity.

We found merry-go-rounds
in Paris and Kyoto.
Laughed atop Ferris wheel
stuck in Brighton beach.

“Why?” I asked
When I burned the lamb chops
in adolescent heart break.
He suggested more mint jelly.

No answers in corridors
gray as shrouds
when his twilight spread.
I let go the string,
this tug more desperate
than his breath.
            - From FLYNG LESSONS by Penny Wilkes

No comments:

Post a Comment