Thursday, September 1, 2011

What You Carry


Are you ready for the tooth of September?

September 2 -  I call it the tooth of September because this time of year I sink my teeth into a state of mind of reduction and discard -  R and D.  I minimize a reliance on things and maximize my creative time for writing and photography.

"Throw or stow" becomes the mantra. I throw. throw. throw while rummaging through closets and drawers.

Research has shown that heavy handbags cause spinal misalignment, shoulder and back problems in women.  Many men stash their wallets in their back pants pocket.  That causes "wallet butt."  Health professionals call it wallet neuropathy.  Sitting on a large wallet for long periods of time twists the spine and compresses nerves in the buttocks and legs.  This pressure leads to inflammation, tingling and lower back pain.

What do I need to lug around with me?  I have down-sized purses this September.

After discarding items, I retain a wallet (4x2 inches), round mirror-brush (think dollar size pancake),  thumb-sized dental floss, 2 handiwipes, one chapstick, fountain pen (ring finger size) and business cards.

I choose a purse that my hand spans (6 inches) up and across in size (it's a Kiplinger sans the gorilla). What else can I do without?  The bulkiness of a cellphone becomes the major challenge. It goes in the outside zipper pocket with the chapstick.  I delete a mini writing tablet and extra handiwipes.  Of course the mirror-brush will be the next to go. I can slip the business cards into my wallet.  Voila, I have become a turtle-istic minimalist.

Ah the freedom I feel as my purse dangles from my shoulder, light as a bird.

Creative Write:  Tell us a story about what you carry.  Can you minimalize?

No comments:

Post a Comment