Monday, September 21, 2009

Autumn Morning

Today I tried to run faster than the gray squirrels.  I can’t believe they can stay ahead of my strides.  They cheat, of course, and race up a tree when I begin to overtake them.  I doubt they could outlast me on today’s six mile run.  They don’t even follow me over the bridge to the duck and heron ponds.

Summer plays tug-a-war with fall for the last days of sunshine. In five days, fall has sneaked up on summer. Leaflets on the Honey Locust trees have turned golden by my window.  They fall into the spiders’ vertical lines and twirl in front of my door. Sugar Maples have started to shoot their magenta, orange and lemon hues to scare the green away. A crisp in the breeze invites the clusters of leaves to bounce and play tag along the sidewalks. Apples, pears and huckleberries have ripened and look ready to eat.

For me, autumn represents change, abundance and a time to express gratitude. With nature exploding its wonder all around me, I appreciate the subtle aspects of life that stimulate my creativity and enthusiasm for every moment in movement. Of course, I become energized during Oregon Duck football season.
   
Creative Write: What does the changing season represent to you? Connect it with memories or emotions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment