Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Wisdom of Well-Being

Seagulls write their musings across the sky. Do they vacation from the need to fly?

Many friends and students ask - When do you take a vacation from writing? I laugh and advise them that writing accompanies me everywhere. Without it, I would miss my well-being. Vertigo would take over and upset my balance.

Writing glides with me during morning runs, while in line at the super market, and in the twilight time just before sleep. In one way or another, I'm always collecting and collating words. My senses stay in awareness mode for bits of conversation, amusements in nature and the wisdom discovered around a curve in the road.

It becomes more challenging while driving my car. I have a dashboard notepad but find it better to pull over if several notions strike at once.In his book, Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell reports that it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at something. For a writer that just scratches the surface. Discoveries and learning occur in every waking moment and during dream time.

It takes discipline and the distraction of sensory experience to awaken a writer's rhythm. Life surrounds us with words to choose for exploration.Why would anyone need a vacation from the thrills that writing provides?

Create Write: Set a date to write for an extended period of time. Designate a portion of one day for a "writer's retreat." Prepare before the date with books and writing ideas. Then write on and on!

No comments:

Post a Comment