Saturday, May 18, 2019

Turtle Notions


During childhood, I traveled internationally with my parents. Spending months on ships at sea, water became an image to investigate. Hotels revealed spaces to explore. I had a house to return to for some of the school year.  Home defined itself from experiences.

I never felt homesick because I learned self-sufficiency by studying turtles.Turtles carry their homes on their backs. Exposed and hidden at the same time, they symbolize strength and perseverance. They have all they need. Cocooned and protected, they stick their necks out.


I discovered turtle fables. A turtle represents creation, endurance, strength, cunning, longevity, and stability. Turtles provide happiness, protection, and good fortune.


The turtle’s shell figures in many tales. Zeus invited a turtle to a party. When she declined the invitation and said, "There's no place like home," he put her house on her back. In China a turtle shell formed the vault of the heavens. Vishnu, the Hindu god, changed into a turtle's shape to carry the world on his back. For many Native Americans the world rides on the back of a giant sea turtle.

I raised turtles and also enjoyed swimming with them in Hawaii.

Later, experiencing college life, marriage, and a move to another state for several years,  the turtle image continued. With another move, I  learned that some days are for turtling and learning about the deep self.

During that focus period, I asked which attributes would perform for me each day? 

In how many ways could I surprise myself with creativity and humor?

I've learned to shine my best attributes from the inside out.


How to live like a turtle: Semper Paratus (always prepared)

You have all you need for a life of amazement and amusement.
        Always believe from the inside out.
            Stay unaffected by negativity from beyond the shell. 


Stay Buoyant. Patient. Steady. Relentless.


Remain secure but never hiding from challenges.

     Love from the inside out.
         Power yourself with energy for a life of wonder.




Take a turtle day to discover your life metaphor and explore it.





No comments:

Post a Comment