Saturday, August 22, 2015

Drivers Amaze Me!


Driving habits of local residents amuse and amaze.  Just when I think I've seen it all . . .

Looking for street parking the other day, I watched the van in front of me as it turned left into a driveway. No, it turned a circle and another . . . in the middle of the street.  One more circle and the driver found a parking place.  Later when I walked by the parked van, I noticed it running with a dog in the driver's seat.  Hmmmm.

I drove around a car parked in the middle of the street that had no driver. Two men talked on the sidewalk. Finding a parking place isn't necessary when you see a friend on the sidewalk. 

The stop light on red, a line of cars snaked into the intersection west as I drove east. The car next to me in the turn lane could not turn left because of the line of cards when the light turned green.  She had a window down. I asked, “What is going on?’  She laughed, “A woman is trying to parallel park.”

No driving rules exist in my city; just recommendations. Everyone rolls stops without concern for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Cars are running while double parked as the driver jumps out to get a quick smoothie.  

A woman who fills the front seat of her car and drives with her stomach turns left into my walking space with a coffee in one hand and cell phone in the other. "Hello," I wave."  Her face reveals a startled expression but she continues up the hill and around a bend,  stomach to the wheel.

A complicated task for drivers of all ages. driving requires people to see and hear. They must place close attention to other cars, traffic signs, and pedestrians.  Drivers must react to events, judge distances, and speeds. They need to monitor movement on all sides of the car.

I want to make signs to hold up to alert these individuals. Do they not understand that they are driving a dangerous weapon? 

For some motorists, their dog should drive for safety reasons. 



No comments:

Post a Comment