Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Meaning of Acceptance


"In the order of nature, we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody. Beware of too much good staying in your hand. It will fast corrupt and worm worms. Pay it away quickly in some sort." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


During a recent morning run by the sea, I noticed a gardener on the sidewalk ahead holding two white rose bouquets. He tried to give them to passersby but no one would take his offering.

I approached and took one. His smile enchanted when he tried to give both to me.

Continuing on my route, I also attempted to share the joy of roses with walkers. I explained the gardener's gift, but they shook their heads. One person said, "Thanks. No."

I did not understand why no one wanted my gift on this day of blue sky, sunshine and surf.

Determined to share the blossoms, I kept running and offering them with a smile. Two individuals took several with thanks.

Eventually I decided to keep the remaining petals for myself.

The gardener gave me ways to consider gifts. I needed to learn to accept a gift, keep and nurture it.

The roses reside on my desk as a reminder of acceptance.


No comments:

Post a Comment