Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Writer's Charm

Do you have a writer's charm?


Many athletes observe pregame rituals and have lucky charms. Michael Jordan believes in his underwear. Serena Williams claims her wins result from a pair of lucky socks.

When I played competitive tennis, I had a racquet named Stanley. He never broke a string and helped me in tense situations. I didn't always win but I felt confident holding his grip. I believed!

My desk smiles at me with a variety of icons. I have a wizard with his arms in the air who has accompanied me during years of writing journeys. Other artifacts from travels move around to uncork my creative juices.

Scientists have found that beliefs like this may help, at least for people doing physical or mental tasks. Several studies at the University of Cologne in Germany conducted tests where students brought in a lucky charm and then did memory tests or word games.

Students performed better when they had their charms than when the charms were left in another room. They felt more confident with their charms.

Charms or rituals may reduce tension, create a feeling of control , and boost beliefs in your ability to succeed (self-efficacy). Like the placebo effect, they can encourage hope, optimism and confidence. Charms do not substitute for talent and hard training, but “engaging in supersititious thoughts and behaviors may be one way to reach one’s top level of performance,“ researchers concluded.

Creative Write:  Do you have a writing ritual or favorite charm that helps your writing? Write about how you discovered its magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment