Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Triangulating Ideas

During my morning run, I noticed junk in the gutters.  Bushes sprouted litter.  When words tease and tingle, I wonder where they will take me as the thrill of curiosity and suspense inspires.  Today I pondered,  "What's left behind?" 

I wanted to discover a change in my approach to the poetry process. What could open new patterns to gain access and make connections?

After a freewrite to push each line into the wild, I decided a structure might assist with the poem's development. 

Freewrite:  Begin to move the pen where it flows.  Where you have no clue about the weather. Whether or not ink takes to the wind until clouds bump against blue.  The sea submerged in its comforter.  Seagulls trucked (sic) into following a rhythm.  They don't need solving.  Some things in life don't.  It takes movement to stay still and absorb the mysteries.  The trash clutters under bushes from the inconsiderate.  Ticket stubs, jetsom of joviality, wrappers, forgotten relationships, cigarette butts, a lover or four.Discards like skin and tonsils.  Hang nails release to pink flesh. A curiosity of crows ambles by, perceives it can't.  Shiny gum wrapper in beak and off it flies.

After the freewrite that added details and abstract ideas to pursue, I circled words that intrigued. 

Here's what the triangulation looked like.  I chose nouns and put them on the left side of the triangle.  I will add to them later.  Verbs went to the right.  In the middle, I wrote the essence of what I wanted to say.

In the rectangle I added three notions for the poem. The first two dealt with my initial thoughts and what the freewrite revealed.  The third I grabbed from the air.

What's left behind?
Something we can't comprehend.
Don't wear a watch for a day.

A second freewrite will involve concrete items that might arrange to include one of the three ideas above.  I will continue to travel to where my pen takes me. 

Creative Write:  Try this exercise and see what results. Become playful and write away from your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment