Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Chased by the Wind


During my morning run along the sidewalk at Windansea beach, gale force wind sailed sand into my arms, legs, and face.

Moistened by spindrift, the grains stuck. The sea roared its laughter.

Turning the corner brought scents of jasmine.

Blankets of scrambled egg whites covered the expanse of ocean.

I glanced upward and stayed vigilant to avoid falling palm fronds.

The wind's surges pushed me forward; pulled me back.  My feet nearly left the pavement.

Searching for narrow streets and lanes, I scurried to avoid the intensity. A fast walk resulted in a granulated feeling.

Once in Chicago, the wind turned my umbrella inside out. I also raced the Big Sur marathon where rocks and road debris made nicks in my arms and legs.


Near the cove, sea foamed upward to match the clouds. Waves in shades of blue from azure to turquoise battled to shore.

Pelicans soared higher than usual. No seals or seal lions occupied the rocks.

The groups of cormorants huddled in crannies.




Invigorated by the experience, I continued my journey, outwitted the wind, and found my way home.


No comments:

Post a Comment